|Regional Perinatal Centers|
|GA Perinatal Quality Collaboratve|
Georgia 5-STAR Hospital Initiative
Join Georgia’s 5-STAR Team!
Georgia's 5-STAR Hospital Initiative was developed to recognize those hospitals that have taken steps to promote, protect and support breastfeeding in their hospital. A five star system has been developed to encourage maternity centers to promote and support breastfeeding one step at a time. Georgia’s 5-STAR will award one star for every two steps implemented of the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding, as defined by the World Health Organization (WHO) and Baby-Friendly® USA.
The Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding:
- Submit a written breastfeeding policy
- Train all health care staff in skills to support successful breastfeeding
- Inform/Educate all pregnant women about benefits/management of breastfeeding
- Skin-to-skin immediately after birth for one hour or until the first breastfeeding is completed
- Show mothers how to breastfeed and how to maintain lactation if they are separated from the infant(s)
- No supplemental formula unless medically indicated
- Practice rooming-in
- Breastfeeding on demand; educating mothers regarding cue-based feeding
- No artificial nipples/pacifiers
- Breastfeeding support groups and other resources referred at discharge for a focus of exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months
The goal of Georgia’s 5-STAR Initiative is to have all birthing hospitals 5-STAR designated by year 2020.
Ready to take your first step?
Schedule an informational phone call by contacting the Georgia Department of Public Health, Maternal and Child Health Section at 404-657-2850.
Georgia's 5-STAR Hospital Participants:
|Doctors Hospital of Augusta|
|DeKalb Medical Center|
|Grady Memorial Hospital|
|Gwinnett Medical Center|
|Martin Army Community Hospital|
|Medical Center of Central Georgia|
|Midtown Medical Center|
|Northside Hospital - Cherokee Campus|
|Piedmont Henry Hospital|
|Phoebe Putney Memorial|
|Southern Regional Medical Center|
|Tift Regional Medical Center|
|Trinity Hospital of Augusta|
- Georgia 5-STAR Hospital Initiative Trains Providers for Healthier Mothers and Babies
- DeKalb Medical Becomes First Georgia Hospital to Earn Baby-Friendly Designation
- Georgia 5-Star Hospital Recognition
Page last updated 5/16/16