The Department of Public Health (DPH) maintains an Institutional Review Board which is charged with assuring that the rights of human subjects of research conducted or sponsored by the Department are protected as outlined in federal and state policies and regulations. All research projects that involve human subjects must be submitted to the Board for review and approval prior to their initiation.
Who Should Apply
Approval must be obtained for all research involving human subjects when:
- the research is conducted by or sponsored by the Department;
- the research requires access to the Department’s subject pool;
- the subjects are employees of the Department;
- the research requires access to data held by the Department; and
- before implementing any amendments to previously approved research protocols.
Approval must be obtained prior to any involvement of the subjects. The approval by the Board is limited to no more than a 12-month period and must be renewed at least annually to continue the involvement of subjects.
All projects funded from sources external to DPH are subject to a processing fee. The fee is non-refundable regardless of the outcome of the review and must be paid before the initial review of the application. The fee schedule is as follows:
- $1,500 for expedited or full reviews
- No Fee for studies meeting the criteria for exemption from IRB review
- $250 for major changes that must be reviewed by the full Board.
- No Fee for minor changes that can be reviewed using the expedited review procedures
- $750 for studies with ongoing data collection/contact with human subjects
- $250 for studies where only data analysis/manuscript preparation is ongoing
The following types of projects are exempt from the processing fees
- Projects conducted by faculty, unless the project is funded from sources external to DPH
- Projects conducted by undergraduate or graduate students, unless the project is funded from sources external to DPH
- Projects where the Principal Investigator is a Georgia state employee, unless the project is funded from sources external to DPH
Checks should be made payable to DPH IRB. Include a short version of the project title and the name of the Principal Investigator on the check. Mail payment to:
Georgia Department of Public Health
Attention: Financial Services - IRB
2 Peachtree Street, NW, 15th Floor
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
DPH IRB meets on the last Friday of each month. Meeting schedule is subject to change without prior notice. Applications must be received by the 1st of the month to be included on the agenda for that month's meeting.
Brian Kirtland, Ph.D.
IRB Coordinator and Chair
Institutional Review Board
Department of Public Health
2 Peachtree Street, 10-202
Atlanta, Georgia 30303