Birth records are available from 1919 to the present. Georgia law and the Department of Public Health regulation require that all requests for vital records include the signature and picture ID of the requestor and the proper fee.
Access to birth records is limited to:
- the person named on the certificate
- the parents shown on the birth record
- an authorized legal guardian or agent
- grandparents of the person named on the certificate
- an adult child of the person named on the certificate
- an adult sibling of the person named on the certificate
- the spouse of the person named on the certificate
The person requesting a certified copy of a birth record must provide:
1. A completed and signed request form
2. A certified check or money order made payable to Vital Records Services
3. A photocopy of your valid photo ID, such as
- Driver's License
- State Issued ID Card
- Employee ID Card
- Valid Passport
NOTE: If you are applying for children 18 and under, please include your ID as the parent, grandparent, or legal guardian.
Georgia law requires pre-payment before a record or a service can be provided. Fees are not refundable after a service has been provided. Records are sent first class mail.
Search Fee (includes one certified copy, if the record is found on file)
Additional certifications of same record ordered at the same time (full size copies only)
Multi-year search (every three years or portion thereof)
Special Filing Fees
(In addition to the $25.00 search fee, which must also be included.)
Delayed certificate of birth
Amending birth certificates because of adoption, paternity acknowledgment, legitimation or court order
No special filing fee is required during the first year of birth to amend a birth record. This includes all types of amendments.
Methods of Payment
Fees may be paid by one of the following methods:
- Certified Check
- Money Order
Do NOT send cash in the mail. Make certified checks and money orders payable to Vital Records.
Where to Request a Birth Certificate
The following options are available for requesting a birth certificate:
- Mail a completed copy of the Birth Certificate Request Form to:
State Vital Records Office
2600 Skyland Drive, NE
Atlanta, GA 30319
- Write out the information on the request form on a sheet of paper and mail it to the State Vital Records Office.
- Request a birth certificate in person at the state Vital Records Office or the County Vital Records Office where the death occurred.
- Obtain a birth certificate online at ROVER (Request Official Vital Event Records).
Note: It is not possible to request a birth certificate via email. By law, vital record search requests must be signed and paid for.