Purpose of the Program
During the 2005 legislative session, the Georgia Legislature passed the Woman's Right to Know Act (House Bill 197), which was signed into law by Governor Sonny Perdue on May 10, 2005. This legislation updates Georgia's abortion requirements by ensuring that women are given the opportunity to make an informed decision about the procedure.
The Act requires that women who seek abortions be fully informed about relevant issues such as:
- Medical risks of abortion,
- Abortion methods and associated medical risks,
- The possible detrimental psychological effects,
- Medical risks of carrying a pregnancy to term,
- Probable gestational age of the fetus at the time the abortion is to be performed,
- Father's responsibility,
- Medical assistance benefits may be available to prenatal care, childbirth, and neonatal care
- Information on free ultrasounds
Required Annual Reports are attaached below.