This method is a quantitative procedure for measurement of Hydrogen Cyanide (HCN) in whole blood using static headspace sampling and gas chromatography with mass selective detection.
GC-MSD (Gas Chromatography with Mass Selective Detection)
Collect as soon as possible after exposure. Collect in 5 or 7mL vacutainers containing EDTA (K2) or Heparin, with a minimum of 0.75 mL of sample. Two empty containers of the same lot number should be submitted with the specimen.
Consultation is required with GPHL Emergency Response Coordinator Req 24/7 contact number: 866-782-4584.
Whole Blood Store refrigerated can be maintained at refrigerated temperature (2-8°C) during transit.
Acceptable Specimen Type(s)
- GPHL Apollo Web Portal
- For manual orders, download the
- 25 µg/L - 2500 µg/L
- Not detected
- PGC (Present but greater than highest calibrator)
- Missing testing requisition.
- Missing minimum of 2 patient identifiers.
- No specimen received (empty collection tube).
- Specimen leaked, damaged, or crushed in transit
- Incorrect specimen type.
- Patient identifier on specimen does not match that on form.
- Low volume (< 0.75 mL).
- Failure to maintain temperature.
- Frozen or hemolyzed specimen.
- Suspected contamination.
- Clotted specimen.
- Expired sample collection container.
1-5 business days
Turnaround times may be affected by the scale of the event.
43183-3 (Order Code: CT011100)