Indoor Air Quality

Mold Complaints and Inquiries

The Department of Public Health, Environmental Health Section serves as a resource for sharing educational information on Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) published by recognized professional associations, academic institutions and governmental organizations.  IAQ is not a regulated program and the branch does not offer any specific services related to mold growth indoors. Mold inspections, testing or remediation practices have no enforceable state or federal standards.

Environmental Health frequently receives mold complaints and inquiries from the public with problems in tourist accommodations, private residences and rental property. Program staff provides information to assist callers with their concerns but the Env Health Section only regulates the tourist accommodations segment (hotels, motels, etc). Georgia residents seeking additional assistance or information may find the wide range of organizations and resources listed below beneficial in solving IAQ issues.

1.  Tourist Accommodations

A tourist accommodation is defined as any facility consisting of two or more rooms or dwelling units providing lodging for tourists and travelers. This includes hotel, motels, campgrounds, bed and breakfast inns and tourist cottages. Tourist Accommodations are regulated by the Department of Public Health under Chapter 290-5-18. Operators must possess and display to the public a valid operating permit.  If unsanitary conditions are present during a stay or visit, you can file a complaint in the county where the facility operates.

2.  Private Residences

Residential mold problems may result from inadequate ventilation, leaking plumbing, improper repairs or poor construction.  Homeowners should use these resources to help increase awareness on how mold growth relates to water intrusion, excessive moisture and condensation on surfaces.

If mold growth is present in the home, the guide recommends procedures to clean different types of surfaces and materials.

 United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA): 

 “A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture and Your Home”

University of Georgia (UGA) Cooperative Extension Service:
Mold Quick Facts

3.  Rental Property

A rental property may be subject to a local housing code. You can contact local county or city officials to determine if a code is applicable in your area. Generally speaking, these codes do not contain or enforce any mold related standard. Therefore, all renters should become familiar with how the landlord-tenant relationship works to resolve disputes or problems.

Georgia's web site guide to free legal information and legal services.

Georgia Landlord Tenant Handbook                  

4.  Other Resources for Information and Services:

Tools for Schools (EPA Resources) 
Download this pdf file. Indoor Air Quality Brochure

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Basic Facts: Molds in the Environment

American Council for Accredited Certification (ACAC)                  
IAQ education, certification and referrals to professionals.

Restoration Industry Association (RIA)                                                 
Disaster recovery, water and fire damage, emergency tips, referrals to professionals.

U.S. EPA IAQ Clearinghouse
Indoor air-related documents and answers to IAQ questions.
US EPA's Website: Indoor Air

American Industrial Hygiene Association
List certified industrial hygienists and laboratories specializing in environmental analysis.