Certification Info (Installers, Pumpers, Soil Classifiers)
Buying additives/chemicals for your tank? Think again !
Disciplinary Actions Against Septic Tank Contractors
Floods and Septic Tanks
Guide to Septic Tanks
Videos: Understanding Your Septic Tank
The Septic System Challenge
Welstrom - Online Mapping Tool
Septic Tanks, Wells, Soils, and More!
Hire someone to install/pump a tank or do a soil report:
Portable Sanitation Providers
Soil Classifiers (Level III)
Certified Lists (Installers, Pumpers, Soil Classifiers)
Rules and Regulations
Portable Sanitation: 511-3-6
Summary Brochure for Event Organizers/Construction Site Owners
Septic Tanks: 511-3-1
Septic Inspections - Illustrated Field Guide and Equivalency Factors
Manual for On-Site Sewage Management Systems Rules - Updated June, 2019
Technical reference guide for the siting, design, permitting, inspecting, and troubleshooting of residential septic tanks.
View the Manual by section:
Table of Contents/Introduction
Section A – Rules and Regulations
Section B – General Site Provisions
Section C – Soil Information
Section D – Pretreatment
Section E – Effluent Distribution and Dosing Devices
Section F – Dispersal Systems
Section G – Experimental On-site Sewage Management Systems
Section H – Site Modifications
Section I – Septage Removal and Disposal
Section J – Sewage Flow Schedule
Section K – Field Inspections
Section L – Operation and Maintenance
Section M – Lot Sizing
Section N – Certification
Section O – Appendices
- Alternative and Non-Conventional Absorption Field Product Approvals
- Aerobic Treatment Units
- Concrete Septic Tank Manufacturers
- Effluent Filters
- Plastic and Fiberglass Distribution Devices
- Plastic and Fiberglass Septic Tank Manufacturers
- Pre-Packaged ATU/Drip Emitter Systems
To request review and approval for a product not listed, please complete our Product Review Application .
Variance and Waiver Request Form (Instructions Page)
For additional information on Alternative and Chamber Product Approvals, please contact the State Environmental Health Office at (404) 657-6534.
Certification Review Committee (CRC)
The CRC assists the Department in the certification of persons who install, inspect, pump, maintain or repair on-site sewage management systems.
Technical Review Committee (TRC)
The TRC makes recommendations to the department regarding the approval of new systems, assist the Department with the development and revision of standards and guidelines for new technology, assists with the adoption of periodic updates to the Manual for On-Site Sewage Management Systems, and serves as the final authority in contested interpretation issues of the Rules and the Manual for On-site Sewage Management Systems.
Soil Classifiers Certification Advisory Committee (SCCAC)
The SCCAC is responsible for certification, oversight, performance assessment and recertification of persons who classify soils for on-site sewage management systems.
For additional information about these committees, and meeting minutes, please email: [email protected]
- Minimize health problems related to untreated human sewage.
- Regulation and inspection of new on-site sewage management systems (septic tanks/field lines).
- Investigation and inspection of repairs made to improperly functioning on-site sewage management systems.
- Education, training, and certification for environmentalists, septic tank installers, pumpers, soil scientists, geologists, and engineers involved in installing, maintaining, and repairing on-site sewage management systems.
Onsite Sewage/Septic Systems/Portable Toilets
Sewage/Septic System Topics