This real time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) molecular assay is intended for the qualitative detection of Francisella tularensis DNA from clinical specimens exhibiting colony morphology and bio-chemical testing consistent with an agent of bioterrorism. Additional reflex testing at the GPHL may be used to confirm specific agents.
- Whole blood:
- Collect in a sterile EDTA tube.
NOTE: Samples below may only be submitted when coordinated with law enforcement.
- Environmental samples (Swab, powder, liquid, envelope, letter, or package):
- Collect in a sterile container.
Consultation with district epidemiologist required prior to submission.
- Whole Blood can be maintained at refrigerated temperature (2-8°C) during transit.
- Environmental samples can be maintained at ambient temperature (15-30°C) during transit.
Acceptable Specimen Type(s)
- Whole blood
- Environmental samples
- GPHL Apollo Web Portal
- For manual orders, download the
- Not detected
- Missing testing requisition form
- Missing minimum of 2 patient identifiers
- Improper labeling
- Specimen damaged, broken, or leaked in transit
- Improper storage/transport of specimen
- No specimen received (empty collection tube).
- Wrong specimen type
- Low volume
1-2 business days
Turnaround times may be affected by the scale of the event.
33677-6 (Order code: BTC04000)
This test will only be used in response to a biothreat event. Requestor must contact GPHL at 1-866-PUB-HLTH (1-866-782-4584) prior to submitting specimens for testing.