The Aptima Herpes Simplex Viruses 1 & 2 assay (Aptima HSV 1 & 2 assay) is an in vitro real time nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT) for the qualitative detection and differentiation of messenger RNA (mRNA) from herpes simplex virus (HSV) type 1 (HSV-1) and type 2 (HSV-2) on the Panther™ system.
Nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT), combines the technologies of Target capture, Transcription-Mediated Amplification (TMA) and Real-time detection.
Lesions swabs: (anogenital)
Collect using the Aptima Multitest Swab Specimen Collection kit (for STM).
Store ambient (2-30° C) and ship using refrigerated (2-8° C) specimen outfit. Specimens collected via the Aptima Multitest Swab Specimen Collection kit must be received within 36 days of collection for testing.
Acceptable Specimen Type(s)
Aptima Multitest Swab Specimen Collection kit: anogenital lesion swab
- GPHL Apollo Web Portal
- For manual orders, download the
- Missing written testing requisition
- ID on specimen and requisition do not match
- Missing minimum of two patient identifiers
- Specimen damaged, broken, or leaking upon arrival
- Improper labeling
- Unidentified specimen
- No name on specimen
- Improper storage/transport of specimen
- Specimen type collected in outfit other than those listed in acceptable specimen outfits and types
- Swab other than the specimen collection swab provided in the acceptable specimen outfit kits
- Expired collection outfit
- Incorrect or missing collection date on requisition
- Receipt of specimen in Aptima Multitest Specimen Collection kit > 36 days after collection date
- Oral swabs
5-7 business days
20444-6 (Order code: 15700)