Marriage Records


Information about marriage records is available at the state office from 1952 to the present. Copies of marriage records earlier than 1952 and after 1996 are only available from the county Probate Court where the license was issued.

Certified copies of marriage licenses are available to the general public, but a certified copy of the marriage license application is only available to the bride and groom shown on the marriage license. Some Probate Courts also issue an attractive, framable copy of marriage documents. These copies are not available at the State Vital Records office.

Certified copies of marriage records may be obtained at the Probate Court in the county where the license was issued. The state office and all county offices have public walk-in service; however some county offices may be closed certain days of the week or some time during the day. The state office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Monday-Friday, closed on weekends and holidays. 

Required Information

The person requesting a certified copy of a marriage record must provide:

1.  A completed and signed request form

2. A certified check or money order made payable to Vital Records Services

3.  A photocopy of your valid photo ID, such as

  • Driver's License
  • State Issued ID Card
  • Employee ID Card 
  • Valid Passport


Georgia law requires pre-payment before a record or a service can be provided. Fees are not refundable after a service has been provided. Records are sent first class mail.

The fee includes one certified copy, if the record is found on file


Additional certifications of same record ordered at the same time (full size only)

$ 5.00

Multi-year search (every three years or portion thereof)


Methods of Payment

Fees may be paid by one of the following methods:

  • Certified Check
  • Money Order

Do NOT send cash in the mail. Make certified checks and money orders payable to Vital Records.

Where to Request a Marriage Record

The following options are available for requesting a marriage record:

Vital Records
2600 Skyland Drive, NE
Atlanta, GA 30319

  •  Request a marriage record in person at the state Vital Records Office or County Probate Court where the marriage application was originally recorded.

Note: It is not possible to request a marriage record via email. By law, vital records search requests must be signed and paid for.