This inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometer method uses an internal standard dilution technique for the determination of Mercury (Hg), Lead (Pb), and Cadmium (Cd) in whole blood. The method is used to screen whole blood specimens from patients to evaluate environmental and other non-occupational exposure to these elements.
Collect in 5- or 7-mL vacutainers containing EDTA (k2). Two empty containers of the same lot number should be submitted with the specimen.
Consultation is required with GPHL Emergency Response Coordinator Req 24/7 contact number: 866-782-4584.
Whole blood can be maintained at refrigerated temperature (2-8°C) during transit.
Acceptable Specimen Type(s)
- GPHL Apollo Web Portal
- For manual orders, download the
- Cadmium (Cd) 1.00 µg/L – 100 µg/L
- Mercury (Hg) 2.00 µg/L – 200 µg/L
- Lead (Pb) 2.00 µg/dL– 200 µg/dL
- Not detected
- Missing testing requisition
- Missing minimum of 2 patient identifiers
- Improper labeling
- Improper storage/transport of specimen
- No specimen received (empty collection tube).
- Low Volume (< .25 mL)
- Wrong specimen type
1-3 business days
Turnaround times may be affected by the scale of the event.
55118-4 (Order code: CT021500)