This is a qualitative real-time reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) duplex assay that detects both GI and GII Norovirus (NoV) RNA in clinical samples from patients exhibiting symptoms of gastrointestinal illness.
- Fresh stool (Preferred):
- 0.5 grams or 0.5 mL of fresh stool submitted in a sterile collection container.
- Whole stool:
- Submit in Cary-Blair media (Para-Pak).
NOTE: Preserved Stool - Diarrheal stool collected during the acute stage of the disease, portions containing blood or mucus usually contain the highest number of pathogens for routine testing.
- Fresh stool can be maintained at refrigerated temperature (2-8°C) during transit.
- Whole stool can be maintained at refrigerated temperature (2-8°C) during transit.
Acceptable Specimen Type(s)
- GPHL Apollo Web Portal
- For manual orders, download the
- Not detected
- Missing testing requisition
- Missing minimum of 2 patient identifiers
- Improper labeling
- Improper storage/transport of specimen
- No specimen received (empty collection tube).
- Wrong specimen type
- Low volume < 0.5 g grams or < 0.5 mL
- Specimen leaked, damaged, or crushed in transit
1-3 business days
Turnaround times may be affected by the scale of the event.
56748-7 (Order code: 411100)