This LC-MS-MS method is for the detection of metabolites excreted in urine after exposure to organophosphate nerve agents sarin (GB), soman (GD), cyclohexylsarin (GF), Russian VX (rVX) and VX. The method utilizes isotopically labeled standards to detect and quantify metabolites GB acid (methylphosphonic acid, isopropyl ester), GD acid (methylphosphonic acid, 1, 2, 2-trimethylpropyl ester), GF acid (methyl phosphonic acid, monocyclohexyl ester), rVX acid (methyl phosphonic acid, 2-methylpropyl ester) and VX acid (methylphosphonic acid, monoethyl ester).
Collect ≥ 20 mL urine. The minimum volume for collection is 1.5 mL of urine. Two empty containers of the same lot number should be submitted with the specimen.
Consultation is required with GPHL Emergency Response Coordinator Req 24/7 contact number: 866-782-4584.
Urine should be stored frozen (-20°C or colder) and shipped with dry ice.
Acceptable Specimen Type(s)
- GPHL Apollo Web Portal
- For manual orders, download the
- GB-Acid, GD-Acid, GF-Acid, VX-Acid, rVX-Acid 1 µg/L – 200 µg/L
- Not detected
- Missing testing requisition
- Missing minimum of 2 patient identifiers
- No specimen received (empty collection tube).
- Specimen leaked or was damaged or crushed in transit.
- Wrong type of specimen submitted.
- Patient identifier on specimen does not match that on form.
- Low volume (< 1.5 mL Urine)
- Failure to keep specimen frozen
1-3 business days
Turnaround times may be affected by the scale of the event.
54097-1 (Order code: CT031100)