CDC recommendations are that all non-treponemal test be confirmed by a treponemal assay (traditional algorithm). Specimens will be screened by an RPR test that uses charcoal agglutination for detection of reagin antibodies and reflex all positive samples to a treponemal assay for confirmation.
RPR charcoal agglutination
Collect in gold top SST tube, centrifuge.
Collect in tiger top SST tube, centrifuge.
Serum separated from the clot can be maintained at refrigerated temperature (2-8°C) during transit for no more than five days after collection.
Serum separated from the clot can be aliquoted, stored frozen (-20°C or colder) and shipped with dry ice.
Acceptable Specimen Type(s)
- GPHL Apollo Web Portal
- For manual orders, download the
- Plasma Specimens
- Missing testing requisition
- Missing minimum of 2 patient identifiers
- Improper labeling
- Improper storage/transport of specimen
- No specimen received (empty collection tube).
- Wrong specimen type
- Specimen damaged, broken, or leaking upon arrival
- Grossly hemolyzed or lipemic
- Specimen containing microbial contamination
- Received more than 5 Days after collection
Hemolysis, lipemia, and bacterial contamination
5-7 business days
20507-0 (Order code:1610 Decatur, W20000 Waycross)