This inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometer method uses a multi-internal standard dilution technique to provide rapid and accurate quantification of multiple elements; Arsenic (As), Beryllium (Be), Cadmium (Cd), Barium (Ba), Thallium (Th), Lead (Pb), and Uranium (Ur) in urine. This procedure can be used for all 7 elements or subset of the 7 elements.
Collect 4 to 7 mL of urine. Two empty containers of the same lot number should be submitted with the specimen. The absolute minimum amount of specimen is about 1.5mL.
Consultation is required with GPHL Emergency Response Coordinator Req 24/7 contact number: 866-782-4584.
Urine should be stored frozen (-20°C or colder) and shipped with dry ice.
Acceptable Specimen Type(s)
- GPHL Apollo Web Portal
- For manual orders, download the
- Arsenic (As) 6.0 µg/L – 2000 µg/L
- Beryllium (Be) 0.3 µg/L – 100 µg/L
- Cadmium (Cd) 0.24 µg/L – 80 µg/L
- Barium (Ba) 0.6 µg/L –200 µg/L
- Thallium (Tl) 0.12 µg/L – 40 µg/L
- Lead (Pb) 0.3 µg/L – 100 µg/L
- Uranium (U) 0.015 µg/L – 5 µg/L
- Not detected
- Arsenic (As) 30 µg/L
- Beryllium (Be) <0.13 µg/L
- Cadmium (Cd) 1.36 µg/L
- Barium (Ba) 7.48 µg/L
- Thallium (Tl) 0.440 µg/L
- Lead (Pb) 2.60 µg/L
- Uranium (U) 0.046 µg/L
- Missing testing requisition
- Missing minimum of 2 patient identifiers
- Improper labeling
- Improper storage/transport of specimen
- No specimen received (empty collection tube).
- Low Volume (<1.5 mL)
- Wrong specimen type
- Specimen damaged, broken, or leaking upon arrival
1-3 business days
Turnaround times may be affected by the scale of the event.
29589-9 (Order code: CT021700)