All isolates of Vibrio recovered from specimens by other clinical laboratories in Georgia should be referred to the Bacteriology Unit, either directly or through the Emerging Infections Program (EIP) site. Referred isolates will be further characterized by various methods, such as biochemical reactions, serogrouping and serotyping, Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization-Time of Flight (MALDI-TOF).
- MALDI TOF
- Collect in the Para-Pak C&S outfit, orange-colored top (do not use the Parasitology O&P kit, blue and white-colored top, because it contains formalin that kills bacteria). Collect freshly passed feces as soon as possible after onset of illness and before antimicrobial therapy has been initiated. The patient should be cautioned against the use of antacid, barium, bismuth, anti-diarrheal medication, or oily laxatives prior to specimen collection. An appropriate (i.e., bloody, slimy, watery) area of stool should be selected and sampled with the collection spoon provided on the cap of the container. Add specimen only to the red line on the vial, tighten the cap securely, and invert several times. The solution in the vial should be salmon colored before the specimen is added.
- Rectal swab:
- Place in a Culturette with Stuarts, Cary-Blair, or other commercially available transport medium.
- Culture isolate:
- Submit an overnight, pure culture of the isolated bacteria on carbohydrate-free media available commercially (TSA, TSI and LIA are acceptable).
- Feces can be maintained at room temperature (15-30°C) during transit.
- Rectal swabs can be maintained at room temperature (15-30°C) during transit.
Acceptable Specimen Type(s)
- Rectal swab
- GPHL Apollo Web Portal
- For manual orders, download the
- Identification to the genus, species, and serotype level
- Improper specimen labeling
- Missing testing requisition
- Missing minimum of 2 patient identifiers
- Specimens submitted in wrong preservative, e.g., PVA or 10% formalin.
- Use of Parasitology outfit
- Multiple specimens collected on the same day
- Specimens received more than 4 days after collection (per Para-Pak C&S package insert) ).
- Specimens damaged, broken, or leaking upon arrival.
Use of antacid, barium, bismuth, anti-diarrheal medication, or oily laxatives.
3-5 business days
6579-7 (Order code: 114011)