Eligibility for BCW
Who Is Eligible for Babies Can't Wait?
BCW serves Georgia children from birth up to their third birthday, regardless of income, who meet one of the following criteria:
- Have a diagnosed physical or mental condition which is known to result in a developmental delay, such as blindness, Down syndrome, autism, spina bifida (Category 1) or;
- Have a diagnosed developmental delay confirmed by a qualified team of professionals (Category 2).
To determine if your child is eligible, he or she will be evaluated in the following areas:
- Physical: health, hearing, vision
- Cognitive: thinking, learning, problem solving
- Gross and fine motor skills: moving, walking, grasping, and coordination
- Communication: babbling, languages, speech, conversation
- Social and emotional: playing and interacting with others
- Adaptive development: self-help skills, (i.e. feeding, toileting, dressing)
Look up your child’s condition on the Conditions Database to determine whether the diagnosis meets automatic eligibility.
If your child is determined eligible, a team of service providers will work with you to address your child's needs. As part of the Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) team, you will collaborate with your team to develop outcomes and goals that will be added to your child’s plan based on their initial evaluation information as well as the priorities and concerns you may have for your child.
Services are provided during your child's daily activities within their natural environment (home, daycare etc.) to ensure natural learning opportunities are maximized while still meeting your child's everyday needs.
Page updated: 11/13/2019