|Preparing for Your Visit|
The Georgia Department of Public Health strives to create a comfortable and convenient atmosphere for accessing family planning services.
We have provided a brief overview of what to expect when you arrive at our health departments and tips on how to prepare for your visit. For more specific questions about your visit, please contact your local health department.
During Your Visit
- You will be asked to share information about your medical history, financial eligibility (ability to pay based on your family size and income) and whether you have a primary care provider.
- Your provider will perform a medical assessment, including reproductive life plan, contraceptive history, health goals and sexual health assessment.
- You will receive education and counseling to support your family planning goals.
- You may have a physical exam, as determined by both you and your family planning provider.
- You may have lab tests conducted and discuss your results with one of our family planning health care providers.
- You may receive a medical referral or schedule a follow-up appointment depending on your personal health care needs.
Family Planning Fees
The Georgia Department of Public Health statewide health departments offer family planning services subject to a sliding fee scale. Based on your income and family size, you may be able to receive services for a reduced cost. Contact your local health department for additional information regarding payment options and fees.
Preparing for Your Visit
- Bring a photo ID, insurance card, proof of income and payment, if required.
- Call us as soon as possible if you need to change or cancel an appointment.
For further instructions on how to prepare for a specific appointment (e.g. a new birth control method, testing, exams, and etc.) contact your local health department. Additionally, feel free to ask about other programs and services offered at your local health department.
Visit our Public Health Districts page to view a listing of our county health departments with addresses, phone numbers and websites.
Page last updated 05/16/16