EMS Personnel Licensure
Update 3/19/2020 - we are aware that some of the fingerprinting sites are not open - applicants will need to call around other sites to find ones that are open to get fingerprinted.
License Management System (LMS)
The Georgia Office of EMS and Trauma uses an online platform to process all initial and renewal medic and instructor license applications. Paper applications are NOT accepted. For more information on LMS, including how to create an account, click HERE.
Applications for New Licenses, Demographic Changes, Etc.
To apply for a new medic or instructor license, submit demographic changes, renew your license, or add CEUs to your profile, follow these steps:
- Go to www.mygemsis.org/lms and login (see instructions on how to access the system HERE)
- Click on Applications (if you are on a small screen like a phone, you will need to click on the menu button with 4 lines at the top left first)
- Under available applications, you will see the applications that you are eligible for - find the one that you need and click Apply Now.
- Follow the instructions on the application and submit any required documentation.
Individual Licensure Requirements
An individual seeking licensure as an EMT, Advanced EMT, or Paramedic (In-State or Out-of-State) must meet the following requirements:
- Submit a complete application online on the Office of EMS and Trauma LMS (see above for how to access the system).
- Current NREMT certification that matches the desired level of licensure.
- Copy (front and back) of a current – signed CPR card (see this document for acceptable cards)
- For ATP Applicants: Copy of current credentials.
- For Paramedic Applicants: Copy of current ACLS credentials. (see this document for acceptable cards)
- Submit a Notarized Verification of Lawful U.S. Residency form. Must submit a copy of verifiable document that was shown to the Notary Public for U.S. Residency (e.g. Driver's License or Passport).
- Must complete a Fingerprint Background Check prior to submitting your application. All applicants MUST use the Georgia Applicant Processing Service (GAPS) for the submission of your Fingerprint Background Check. The department does not accept criminal history reports from the applicant or other sources.
- Applications with a fee of $75.00 must be submitted together. We accept credit/debit cards (fastest) or Money Orders, and Business/Cashier's Checks ONLY. Cash and Personal Checks are NOT accepted.
Note: The fingerprint results are only good for 30 days from the date your fingerprints are completed. If the application is still incomplete after 30 days, the applicant will have to submit a new fingerprint-based criminal history records check. All applicable fees will apply.
Incomplete applications will expire within 45 days of receipt by the Office of EMS and Trauma. Once an application expires, the applicant will be required to submit a new application, a new application fee, and will have to submit a new fingerprint criminal background check.
Forms for Personnel Licensure
Fingerprint Background Instructions Only - GA Residents
Fingerprint Background Instructions Only - Out-of-State Residents
Verification of Lawful U.S. Residency Form
List of Acceptable Secure and Verifiable Documents
Medic Payment Form (This form is ONLY to be used to submit a mailed payment for personnel licensure fees. You must complete the online application form at www.mygemsis.org/lms PRIOR to submitting this form.)
Georgia does not have a reciprocity process. However, to apply for a Georgia license you are required to have a current NREMT registration and submit an online application with the required documents listed above.
- EMS Personnel certification/licensure rules are located at Georgia Administrative Code R. 511-9-2-.12.
- Links for Medics
- Forms and Related Documents
Page last updated 3/10/2020