NEW Presumed Positive Case of COVID-19 in Georgia
ATLANTA – The Georgia Department of Public Health (DPH) is awaiting confirmatory testing on a presumptive positive test for COVID-19 in a resident of Fulton County. Initial testing was completed today at the Georgia Public Health Laboratory (GPHL). The individual is hospitalized, and the source of the exposure is not known.
Currently, there are five confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Georgia – three in Fulton County, one in Polk County (previously reported as Floyd County) and one in Cobb County. And, confirmatory tests by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are pending on two presumptive positive tests – one is a resident of Gwinnett County, the other is the above Fulton County resident tested at GPHL today.
The risk of COVID-19 to the general public remains low. The best prevention measures for any respiratory virus are:
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
If you have recently traveled to areas where there are ongoing outbreaks of COVID-19 and develop fever with cough and shortness of breath within 14 days of your travel, or if you have had contact with someone who is suspected to have COVID-19, stay home and call your health care provider or local health department right away. Be sure to call before going to a doctor’s office, emergency room, or urgent care center and tell them about your recent travel and your symptoms.
For accurate and reliable information about COVID-19 log on to https://dph.georgia.gov/novelcoronavirus or https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
This release at 8 p.m. updates the information sent this morning at 10 a.m. That release is included below for your background information.