The use of tobacco products at worksites is dangerous to the health of the tobacco user and the other employees. Tobacco use is the leading cause of preventable deaths in tobacco users and non-users. Employers are encouraged to adopt tobacco-free worksite policies to promote and protect the health of the employees in the organization and help tobacco users to quit. Additionally, a tobacco-free policy at workplaces eliminates exposure to secondhand smoke. Secondhand smoke is a mixture of the smoke from the burning end of combustible tobacco products and the smoke exhaled by the smoker. There is no safe amount of secondhand smoke exposure.
Reasons for Tobacco-Free Worksites
- Increase productivity in the employees by reducing time off due to tobacco-related illnesses.
- Increase revenue for businesses.
- Improve quality of life and health of the employees.
- Eliminate exposure to secondhand smoke.
- Reduce healthcare cost associated with tobacco related illnesses.
- Reduce cost associated with cleaning and maintenance of the property.
- Reduce costs associated with risk of fire incident and smoke damage.